Sad

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      24 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Blog Entries

French Vogue slammed for sexy photos of preteen

Thylane Loubry Blondeau, a 10-year-old with stunning good looks, seems destined for a wildly successful modeling career. But photos of the preteen in this month's issue of French Vogue are reigniting a debate over the sexualization of young girls.

With her full lips, waist-length hair and piercing blue eyes, Blondeau is already an in-demand model. The Parisian has been modelling since she was four, appearing in such magazine as Vogue Enfants. But it's her spread in this month's French Vogue that has tongues wagging.

The issue, which was guest-edited by designer Tom Ford, shows the preteen Blondeau wearing a red dress, leopard-print stilettos and red nail polish while lying on a tiger skin rug in one shot. In another, she reclines on a bed dressed in a low-cut, gold lame gown and gold stilettos.

Blondeau is not the only little girl in the editorial. The spread features more than a dozen pages of girls in makeup and up-dos.

The editorial is said to have been designed to question our culture's -- and the fashion industry's -- obsession with youth. The copy in the spread asks, in part, "What makeup at what age? How does one wear makeup at 13? What about at 70? Obviously not like one does at 20."

Janna Sauers, editor at Jezebel.com notes the images are disturbing, but that they're "purposefully, knowingly disturbing" and aimed to provoke a reader to question the fashion industry's treatment of young girls.

"Models only three or four years (and one middle-school growth spurt) older than Thylane grace international runways, glossy magazine covers, and ad campaigns for luxury brands regularly," she writes. "Only they are not styled as children, which Thylane and the other child models so obviously were in this spread, with their too-big shoes and their white, little-kid cotton undershirts peeking out from too-big designer outfits."

She adds that she believes that the spread was published in the knowledge that outrage would follow, which it seems to have done.

Blondeau is not the first young model to stir up the sexualization debate. Brooke Shields created plenty of controversy in 1981 when the then-15-year-old posed provocatively in Calvin Klein jeans and declared that nothing came between her and her Calvins.

In 2007, a 13-year-old Dakota Fanning posed in a controversial campaign for Marc Jacobs. And her younger sister Elle Fanning is now the face of Jacobs' Fall 2011 campaign at the age of 13. Miu Miu recently chose Hailee Steinfeld, the 14-year-old star of True Grit, as the face of its fall 2011 campaign.
      http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Oh Jesus Christ!
      I just saw this pic with article before clicking over to OS. What the hell? Maybe we should look at the toddler beauty pageants in the U.S.too... Anyone watched "Toddlers & Tiaras" lately? I haven't, it turns my stomach, but I've seen advertisements for it. The issue is taking a child who should be playing with dolls and climbing trees and thrusting her into an adult world where she is seen as an object.I am surprised and appalled that any Mother would allow this to happen to her child...
      "It's funny how people love the dead, once you're dead you're made for life."-Jimi Hendrix

Super Moderator
      I am:
      Drunk

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Blog Entries
      That's disgusting!

Ps why do I always find a really interesting thread when I dont have the time to reply properly!!! Also still not blogged :/ Sorry Anka I know I said I would, and I will over the weekend. Hopefully.

My siggy was made by the amazing 'Lolcasanova'

Immortal
      I am:
      Sad

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      24 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
      That's disgusting!

Ps why do I always find a really interesting thread when I dont have the time to reply properly!!! Also still not blogged :/ Sorry Anka I know I said I would, and I will over the weekend. Hopefully.

Thank you Kellie!Do not worry, this topic does not expire.I`m glad that this subject has attracted the attention.
      About riots in London- I am patient, take your time.
      "It's funny how people love the dead, once you're dead you're made for life."-Jimi Hendrix

Fabulous Killjoy
      I am:
      Sneaky

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      36 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      This reminds me of when I read about children being admitted to hospital for eating disorders, as it's the same concept; making children obsessed with their bodies before their time. It saddens me but it's virtually a guarantee that all children will end up scrutinising their own bodies and willing them to judge once they hit teenagehood. And whilst I wish this wasn't so, I understand it's how the world works nowadays. But children? Children shouldn't be subject to this. Children shouldn't look in the mirror and wish themselves prettier, taller, slimmer. The only thing children should worry about when they look in the mirror is whether or not that mud splat is large enough for Mum to notice.
      I hate the model industry. I hate how they treat the models themselves and I hate the message it sends out to everyone else. THIS is how you'd supposed to look, THIS is what beauty is. I hate it, I hate it with a vengeance. And the idea that it's being drilled into children's heads disgusts me. When I see beauty pageants in America, I shake my head and despair. Children worrying about whether their teeth are white, their hair golden, their eyeshadow the right shade. When I was 10 years, the only thing that concerned me was whether I'd be able to go on my skateboard that evening. And I was by no means of the imagination a tomboy. I could be on a skateboard Friday evening and playing with a dolls' house Saturday morning. I didn't begin to care about my appearance until I was 14, which was rather late compared to my classmates but was ideal for me.

The words "10 years old" and "stunning" should not be in the same sentence. 10 year olds are cute, pretty, adorable. They are not stunning, sexy, sultry. I mean, I think 13 is too young to be dressing like a 20 year-old, but I accept it's what young teenagers do. They wanna play this older business, not realising it'll roll round quick enough.

What is this doing to our children? What message does it send, when looks become the all?
      "All he wanted was the mountain high, colour the clouds, paint the sky.
      Beyond these boundaries, he wanted to fly, in nature's scheme, never to die."

"How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be."

"If only the world wouldn't get in the way
      If only people would just let you play
      They say you're both being fools
      You're breaking all the rules
      They can't understand the magic of your wonderland."

Administrator
      I am:
      Meh

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Blog Entries
      I can't see dressing my almost 10 year old like that. That must be traumatizing somehow.

Super Moderator
      I am:
      Drunk

Post Thanks / Like
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Blog Entries
      I remember when there was an investigation over here not so long ago about high street shops selling things like padded bras and thongs for preteens. Also underwear with things like juicy printed on them, after the investigation they were taken from the shelves but it just begs the question WHY? Why are they even made in the first place? Its just hideous.

My siggy was made by the amazing 'Lolcasanova'